18 July 1821 – 8 April 1893
The town’s first permanent settlers were William and Polly (Friend) Arthur, who arrived in 1860. The first post office in Webster County was Fort Lick, present-day Webster Springs. The postmaster at the time was a man by the name of John W. Hall.
John Hall and a man named Mr. Skidmore drilled the first salt sulfur well in Webster County. The popular name of this well was ‘Old Spring.’ The salt sulfur well helped make Webster Springs a popular summer tourist location during the 19th and early 20th Century.
The town of Webster Springs (Fort Lick) had four total springs; The Addison McLaughlin Well, Old Fork Lick Spring, the Tracy Well, and the Wm. Smith Well. The wells were famous because people believed that the water from the wells had medicinal qualities. People frequently use the springs to treat conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, acne, and arthritis.